23, Abanindranath Tagore Sarani,(Camac Street)
(Camac Street), Ground Floor
Kolkata - 700017,
West Bengal, India
Phone: +91 33 2255 3700 - 705
Fax: +91 33 2255 3737
Bengal Aerotropolis Project at Durgapur, West Burdwan
The Aviation sector is all set to have a new look in the industrial canvas of West Bengal. WBIDC which plays a pioneering role in provision of industrial infrastructure in West Bengal has entered into a Joint Venture Development Agreement (JVDA) with Bengal Aerotropolis Projects Ltd. (BAPL) in 2008 to set up Durgapur Aerotropolis in DURGAPUR-ASANSOL region in Burdwan district of West Bengal. Durgapur Aerotropolis, with state-of-art industrial, urban and social infrastructure will house apart from a green field Airport, aviation-intensive businesses and related enterprises, clusters of business parks, logistics parks, industrial parks and a township.
Durgapur Aerotropolis will be India’s first Aerotropolis project and first privately owned merchant airport.
Changi Airports International, one of the largest Airport management companies in the world, has 26% equity stake in BAPL. Changi Airports International is overseeing all aspects of airport construction and would also look after the initial operation of the airport. The project which has received all the necessary clearances and approvals is progressing as per schedule.
Some of the most developed aerotropoli are in city-states such as Hong Kong, Singapore and Dubai and the proposed Durgapur Aerotropolis is expected to bring about similar socio-economic development of the Durgapur-Asansol region and create the second metropolitan city in the state after Kolkata.
The proposed Durgapur Aerotropolis Project would meet the needs of an airport in the Durgapur–Asansol planning area, and also the industrialization and urban needs of the region. The Project is expected to show:
- Emergence of a new metro destination in eastern India.
- Fresh investments in industries and services such as information technology and allied sectors of Bengal.
- Efficient air connectivity for the whole eastern region of India.
- Enhance employment opportunities within the region.
- Located at a distance of 160 km from Kolkata, Durgapur city is the home to some of the largest industrial units in the state, Durgapur Steel Plant, an integrated steel plant of SAIL; Alloy Steels Plant of SAIL and CMERI, a CSIR laboratory.
- Durgapur together with Asansol and nearby municipalities forms the Asansol Urban Agglomeration which is a ‘mission city’ under the JNNURM project. This fast emerging industrial and commercial hub has multifarious projects in the pipeline that include residential complexes, integrated townships, SEZ’s and industrial estates.
- The site is well serviced by rail links and Express, Mail trains and several inter-city superfast trains ply between Kolkata and Durgapur on a regular basis.
- The Durgapur Expressway toll road and the NH-2 connect the site with rest of the country. The Durgapur Expressway, linking Dankuni with Memari on Grand Trunk Road, allows fast communication and cost effective transport access to different parts of the state.
- Haldia Port, one of the major ports of India is at a distance of approx. 175 km.
Till date total 1818.18 Acres of land leased out to Bengal Aerotropolis Projects Limited on a 99 years lease. Total area will be dived as follows:
- An Airport spreading over an area of 650 acres.
- Industrial Park in an area of 493.42 acres.
- Institutional Area in an area of 258.20 acres
- A supporting residential township in an area of 471.43 acres
- Rehabilitation & EWS Zone in an area of 104.84 acres
Promoters of the Project
The Aerotropolis Project is promoted by Bengal Aerotropolis Project Ltd. (BAPL) which is a Special Purpose Company engaged in the development of Aerotropolis projects in India. BAPL is a sister concern of a Joint Venture company of HUDCO - Pragati Social Infrastructure & Development Limited (PSIDL). Its other shareholders are City star Infrastructures Limited, Lend Lease Company (I) Limited and Pragati 47 Development Limited.
Interested Investors may Contact
West Bengal Industrial Development Corporation Ltd. (WBIDC)