State Design Centre
The opening up of the Indian economy and the continual changes in the country’s economic and investment policies over the past one and a half decades have unleashed an unprecedented opportunity for growth of private and public investment and enterprise. Like other states, West Bengal has played a key role in scripting the Indian growth story. Leather goods, Gems & Jewelry, Textile & Apparel, Jute Diversified Products, Plastic and Rubber items, Casting & Forging amongst others are the traditional industries of West Bengal. Government of West Bengal is working towards the accelerated growth of these traditional industries with objectives of achieving sector leadership, increasing their contribution towards the State GDP and in turn improving the employment and standard of living of people working in the MSMEs including artisans. Some of the ways and means include promotion of a medium-term export strategy, branding, provision of state-of-the-art infrastructure facilities for training to enhance the quality, design & global competitiveness, product diversification, quality consciousness and technology up gradation etc. West Bengal Government has taken several initiatives for overall socio-economic development of the state on a sustainable basis through different participatory and need-based initiatives. In order to promote sector leadership in traditional industries (leather goods, gems & jewellery, textiles and casting & forging amongst others) in West Bengal though innovation and R&D enablement, the state government intends to setup a State Design Center in collaboration with NID and national/ international digitization partner. State Government will support this centre through facilitation and financing.
Objectives of State Design Centre
- Set up Centre of Excellence in Industrial Design, Education, Research and Innovation.
- Develop contemporary designs taking into account the trends from the markets and different geographies.
- Capture and reuse of the designs – existing and the new designs.
- Incubate/assist companies that require dedicated access to tools and equipment while providingmentorship in a vertical through industry and expert association.
- Foster innovation through research projects along with the industry.
- Training the MSMEs to enhance the quality, design and competitiveness.
Key Benefits with State Design Centre
- Efficient innovative product design – Innovate by exploring more alternatives, communicate and validate the ideas.
- Efficient validation process - get insights into the product performance before it physically exists, reduce cost and save time before the first physical prototype.
- Explore shapes, materials, colors and finishes combinations, for the most effective design validation and decision making.